Monday, March 14, 2011

Starting a Photography Business

I want to start a photography business. I think this is easier said then done. There are a lot of photography businesses out there, and I know there is a lot of competition. Although, I do feel like I have a little advantage over most because I have business knowledge. I am an accounting student, and I have taken quite a bit of business and accounting classes. This doesn't make me a better photographer, but it does make it easier for me when it comes to the business side of things. 


My first goal is to research everything I will need to do and make a formal business plan. Most people only make a business plan because they need financing from a bank, but it is such a good idea to make one no matter what. I won't need financing. In the last week I ordered:


1. A Canon 60D D-SLR
2. A camera bag
3. A memory card
4. An extra battery
5. A GorillaPod (Zoom D-SLR)
6. An LCD screen protector
7. A comfortable camera strap
8. Adobe Production Suite CS5
9. A lens hood
10. An air blaster (to clean dust)


I also just got an iMac last Thursday which is what I will use to do the adobe software. My boyfriend was planning to get me a birthday gift, and my computer died so that's what I got for my birthday.


I ordered all those above last week and I am waiting, not so patiently, for them to arrive!! I can go into detail about my gear at a later date, maybe after I have had a chance to use them. 


So Wednesday is when I have my finals, and this whole idea about a photography is much more interesting ;). After Wednesday my plan is to go to the library and pick up books regarding photography and small businesses. I would really like to take some classes before I try to open my business. I want to take a digital photography class at the Photo Center NW which is a college for photography in Seattle. It costs $650 for each 3 credit class, and each class is held once a week. I wish it wasn't so expensive, but at least I will get a tax benefit because I will be paying out of pocket.


Oh, how about an introduction...


My name is Ashley and I am actually an accounting student. I am 24 years old and I work as a school bus driver. I love to take photos, and in high school I took photography with a 35mm film SLR camera. I really enjoyed that class and that was the last time I used a SLR camera. A few weeks ago I thought about learning how to use an SLR camera, this time it would be digital! After thinking about it, I thought why not try and make a business about it. I am currently in school like I mentioned, and I have 7 classes left till I graduate. Because of the way they scheduled the classes, I won't be graduating until next March 2012. That doesn't bother me because I will have the whole summer off (to take a photography class and get lots of practice) and then I will take 2 classes each quarter for Fall and Winter, so it won't be full time like I'm used it. That will be a nice little break.


My plan is to practice a lot, on nature, animals, and people at first. Then charge a small price to get my name out there and get more practice. After that then I will decide a new pricing and such. I will use family and friends to help me get practice, and I know they won't mind be the center of attention and getting (hopefully) good pictures.



No comments:

Post a Comment